4.4K views
2.1
Turnaround Time

Poshmark claims to protect against counterfeits as stated on their website: "You are protected every time you make a purchase on Poshmark. We will give you a full refund if your item never ships or does not match the listing description. Otherwise, all sales are final. The policies and systems we have in place to protect you are called Posh Protect."

I purchased what I thought was an authentic Coach Bag on Poshmark, and when I received it a few days later, I immediately knew it was counterfeit, but felt assured I would be refunded given the 'Posh Protect' guarantee that if the item you receive is inauthentic, they will provide a full refund and a shipping label to send the item back to the seller. I immediately reached out to Poshmark via the app with a description and photos of the counterfeit bag taken next to an authentic Coach bag of the exact same style and color to show the glaring differences. Not only were there many obvious details pointing to it being a fake (different lining material/color, not real leather, completely different sizes of hardware, loose/clumsy stitching, different size logo, no receipt or sales tag as was described in the listing, fake care brochure printed on printer paper with different fonts), the bag was very poorly packaged and shipped in an envelope far too small for it, folded up and warped, so it is now permanently damaged (rips in the fake leather) from being bent and will not even stand up on its own. When someone ships a supposedly authentic designer item that way, it's basically like them saying, "Hey, I just scammed you! haha"

Poshmark replied to my complaint a few days later asking for more photos, which I then sent, of both the fake and authentic bags. I also offered to ship them both of the bags so they could inspect them next to each other, as it is difficult to see the details in low resolution photos. It is better if you can see both in person and feel the cheap materials compared to the authentic bag which is sturdier, with higher quality materials/stitching, and the care brochure is much heavier paper stock.

Two days after receiving the 2nd round of photos, Poshmark emailed back a standardized rejection email to say that this purchase does not qualify for a refund. The reasons given were as follows:

"- item confirmed authentic from in house authenticators

- different stores or seasons may have slight differences"

Conveniently for them, there is no way to contact Poshmark to speak to an actual person for more information or to challenge their findings. They do not have a customer service line or any phone number to call.

I have a big issue with their response. First, I have serious doubts that Poshmark actually employs in-house authenticators, and even if they did, how could this person determine authenticity solely from low resolution photos? I offered to ship them the bags for inspection, real and fake, but they did not respond to that offer. This tells me that they are not really in the business of authenticating. After all, they are a software company. I wonder how much software engineers know about authenticating designer items. Secondly, "different stores or seasons may have slight differences" is patently not true. Coach, or any designer, does not produce the same SKU/item/style with some having real leather and some fake leather, different clasp/zipper sizes, and different brochure paper stocks/fonts. Also, the seller claimed to have purchased the bag at Macy's (not surprisingly, she did not enclose a receipt, or the retailer sales tag is was supposed to come with), which is the same retailer that the real bag I found was from. I find it utterly ridiculous that I am supposed to take Poshmark's word that they have an Authenticator on staff who can magically authenticate items based on low resolution photos submitted through the app, and I can't even contact them to challenge this finding.

I believe Poshmark is knowingly allowing counterfeit items to be sold on their website/app so they can get the 20% fee from the sale of these items; and making false claims about offering refund protection for inauthentic items and being able to trust purchases from Poshmark. This software company has no Customer Service department, no phone number, no intention of issuing refunds, and no integrity.

Poshmark should stand behind their 'Posh Protect' claim, and offer refunds for items that are found to be inauthentic. If they are going to maintain that the item is authentic (which it is certainly not), then they should at least refund me for the purse having arrived damaged, ripped and warped from being shipped folded up in an envelope. That also falls under the 'Not as Described' complaint. It doesn't matter if an item is purchased for $1000 or $10, a buyer should not be forced to accept a damaged item with no hope of a refund.

Poshmark should also take claims of counterfeiting seriously. If they are going to deny inauthenticity refunds by saying the item is in fact authentic, they need to take it seriously and arrange to have items in dispute shipped to a 3rd party authenticator who has no financial stake in the sale. That would be the only fair and impartial way to authenticate items. Poshmark earns 20% from every sale no matter if it's real or counterfeit, so they have no incentive to ensure the buyer is getting what they thought they were getting.

Stay away from Poshmark and the seller @hollyp76

Product or Service Mentioned: Poshmark Customer Care.

Reason of review: Not as described.

I liked: Selling on poshmark, Mostly honest people, Fun and addictive, Social aspects.

I didn't like: Scamming, No customer service phone number, Posh protect policy is bs, Poshmark supports counterfeiters, Poshmark has no integrity.

Comments

Poshmark is a shady company,I bought a Tiffany Necklace for $240.This is a lot of money for me.You have 3 days to accept your purchase or the seller will receive my money,Poshmark didn't answer my emails until the 4th day teal lying it was to late for my refund.They make sure not to answer your email until your 3 days are over.Terrible company and dishonest.

Stfu just don’t buy a bag lol

I sold a LV handbag and the sale went through the buy gave me 5 star rated my funds were suppose to be released tomorrow and i got an email today saying my bag was a replica and I would not be getting my money... what has everyone else done in situations like this?

to Stephanie1 #1502305

Did they blocked u?

WoefulHuman

I had an experience recently I sold an authentic Louis Vuitton and went to their concierge service for authentication they canceled my order after receiving my bag. I have been sending out emails asking to return my bag and its been more than a month and they did not return it.I bought it from someone else as an authentic so I was confident to sell it and send it to their concierge service I was shocked when they canceled the order, but it is more shocking that they didn't return my bag.I have the feeling the bag is authentic and poshmark stole it. they never explained to me why they canceled the order.

to WoefulHuman #1502304

Did they return the bag? Did they say its a counterfeit?

I agree that what happened is very disheartening, however most companies have certain retailers that they work with that are given authority to sell their authentic items. For example when you go to ugg.com, they have a lost of authorized retailers and if you choose to purchase a pair of uggs from any retailer not on that authorized list, you are doing so at your own risk.

Therefore, if you are trying to get a better deal by going to an unauthorized website and your product is not authentic it was at your own discretion and in doing so, you do take and accept that risk. My advice, do some research, make sure that you are purchasing grom an authorised retailer and if the price sounds too good to be true then it probably is.

Same with me except I was on the receiving end. A buyer said my sell wasn’t authentic.

They refunded her and I immediately reimbursed them. They then said they would send my shoes back and they sent me a white blouse. I told them that wasn’t my sell and they asked for pictures, I sent them immediately and got no response.

A week later I emailed to follow up. They basically stated “they could confirm that the shoes were sent and no other garment by mistake.” Oh ok because a shirt and sneakers are synonymous.

Honey_2017

Poshmark scam people out of their money.

Not always, the buyers buy authentic items and accuse sellers for selling fake items without evidence is dangerous grounds.

Honey_2017
to WM #1391766

That’s what happened to me they scammed me

This fraud company is about to go public. Don't let that happen.

People need to file their report appropriately with the Attorney General, FTC and Dept of corporation.

Reporting to BBB won't fix anything.

They're causing a lot of stress to both honest sellers and buyers. So follow these steps first and when enough people filed the same reports then the attorney general will take action.

to Report to FTC n ATTORNEY GENER #1591002

Terrible company,This is a very shady and dishonest company.I wish I had read the bad reviews.

Bloomington, Illinois, United States #1303952

I have had a situation in where I sold an item and after it was delivered, the buyer cancelled after my item was delivered. She has blocked me.

I have contacted Poshmark via email, phone, and facebook with no response. My money due to me is $200 so this is important! I needed this for my children's medical fund.

I have contacted my local police department but when we traced the address it came up a vacant industrial lot or a boat ramp. I am going to look into filing charges against Poshmark next.

to Kim #1307867

Austin, Texas, United States #1301650

I've been battling Poshmark on the exact same issue. I bought a Kate Spade clutch that was listed as authentic but was very clearly fake once I actually got it in the mail.

My complaint of inauthenticity was denied. I basically got the same message as you. I even tried to contact Kate Spade support, but they said they can only authenticate items sold from certain stores. The Posh seller even admitted she can't prove it's authentic...

but somehow Poshmark is still on her side. She's sold several of these items before, which means she probably bought them in bulk from a counterfeit website.

I need elocution too, I just shipped out an authentic Prada purse that I sold that me with the authenicity card, but they just emailed me saying that my purse couldn't be proved authentic, so if I don't pay them immediately they will destroy the bag, I don't know how to pay them the money to ship it back and I don't know what to do

to Samadhi #1307868

to Samadhi #1397539

Hi Samadhi,

Did you ever get your item back to you? It also happened to me after selling an authentic dress and it was not approved to be authentic, which it is impossible.

I keep emailing them to notify that I paid the return shipping but I have been not receive one response back.

I sold an authentic dress using the authentication service because I thought nobody would scam or steal me using authentication services. How naive I feel right now.

WoefulHuman
to Samadhi #1482197

I see they been doing this to a lot of us. I also sold an authentic Louis Vuitton and was sent to the concierge service poshmark canceled the order without explanation and kept my bag.

they have not reply to my emails.

we should all report them. they are stealing from us.